The City of Jewles

The City of Jewels - 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition

"The Innocent Fair" is a documentary from amazing rare nitrate film footage from the 1915 Panama-Pacific exposition shot in San Francisco.  The historical silent film reels were found in 1961 in Tiburon and subsequently employed by Ray Hubbard as the basis for this piece that he wrote and produced for KPIX-TV. 

While the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition was held to celebrate the completion of the Panama Canal in 1913, it was also seen by city planners and dwellers as a stage to show off the city's - albeit hasty - resurgence and recovery following the earthquake and great fire of 1906. Today's only remaining specimen of the exhibit is the Palace of Fine Arts, however, the exposition left its stamp on the city, through its innovative architecture and city planning, yielding civic projects and developments that remain visible today, for example in the design of present day Civic Center with its Civic Auditorium and the contemporaneous structure of the emerging City Hall.